News /nee'wis/, n. [From new; cf. F. nouvelles. News
plural in form, but is commonly used with a singular verb.]
- a report of recent occurences; information of something that
has lately taken place, or of something before
- new information about specific and timely events; "they awaited
news of the outcome" [syn: intelligence, tidings, word]
- new information of any kind; "it was news to me"
- a program devoted to news; "we watch the 7 o'clock news every
night" [syn: news program, news show]
- information reported in a newspaper or news magazine; "the news
of my death was greatly exaggerated"
- the quality of being sufficiently interesting to be reported in
news bulletins; "the judge conceded the newsworthiness of the
trial"; "he is no longer news in the fashion world" [syn: